01 May 2009

What's wrong with a few little germs?

Why, oh, why must everything be anti-bacterial? What's wrong with a few friendly little germs hanging out and keeping your immune system in tip-top shape?

I can't take it anymore!

Yes, I use anti-bacterial soap (really, I will use what ever is available, I don't search out the anti-bacterial stuff), but I refuse to go beyond that. That ewwy, gooey gel that you're supposed to rub into your hands. What is that made from? Do I really want it to be absorbed into my skin? multiple times during a day? Do I want to touch my food after? It seems like a fate worse than germs. This has become clearly ridiculous. I am a healthy person and I don't need an anti-bacterial bubble to keep me from getting sick. My body is designed to that on it's own.

And what of the super germs? You know, the ones that are created by regular germs mutating to evade the ever increasing army of anti-bacterials. Those of us who are putting up a fight against the anti-microbial pushers may have more of a chance (as our immune systems have been working out). But, hold on Purell lovers, how will you protect yourself from these super germs? That gel isn't going to cut it.......

2 comments:

Celeste said...

I read a book called "The Secret Life of Germs" written by a microbiologist who had worked for the CDC. He said it is not the antibacterial gels that are causing the mutations. It is people taking ANTIBIOTICS for everything that does that. People demand antibiotics when they have viral infections, and antibiotics don't even work on a virus. Or people not taking the full prescription...that affects the bacteria because they are not all killed. (IrishF on rav)

Ms. Know-It-All said...

Don't get me started on unnecessary antibiotic use.... I can't believe doctors will still prescribe them if they aren't essential, or won't even work (like for viruses). I'm going to have to check out that book.